Monday, January 23, 2017

January Owlcrate Review

Owlcrate is a monthly box subscription that is based around the box's theme of the month. The themes usually focus on a Young Adult series and have items that go with that series. For example, in  July 2016 Owlcrate had a theme of Good vs Evil box; if you got an evil box you were given a Draco Malfoy POP figure by Funko or if you got the Good box you were given a Luna Lovegood POP figure by Funko. A typical Owlcrate box includes a box based on the month's theme along with 3-5 book/nerdy/fun items that tie in with the book in the Owlcrate and theme.

The cost of an Owlcrate is $29.99 a month plus shipping and the box usually ships around the 20th of each month. Another great part of the Owlcrate is that you can buy it as a gift for someone! It's a perfect birthday, Christmas or anniversary gift for any book lover! 

The theme of January's Owlcrate is Class Remix, the box focusing on older stories like Phantom of the Opera, The Little Prince, The Secret Garden etc. 

The first item of January's Owlcrate was a soap created by TeaSoapBooks, the scent is inspired by the Secret Garden

The next item is a cute Owlcrate pin that fits with the theme of the box.

The third item in the Class Remix Owlcrate is some mint tea created by First Edition Tea Co. Inspired by a literary classic, The Little Prince

There is always some sort of fabulous bookmark in every Owlcrate and in January's Owlcrate was a quote bookmark created by Lexy Olivia inspired by the novel Slaughterhouse Fire

A calendar created by Obvious State Inspired by children's literary classics, each month features a beautiful art prints. 

My favorite item from the January Owlcrate is magnet paying homage to one of my favorite books and musicals of all time, Phantom of the Opera. 

The book included in the Class Remix Owlcrate kind of blew my mind because I thought it would be something like The Little Prince or the Secret Garden. When I think of literary classics, I don't think of Phantom of the Opera but I was pleasantly surprised me and I'm very excited to read it. 

Overall thoughts: So I had high expectations for this Owlcrate and although I was a bit discouraged with the theme, I still had hopes and was willing to not judge until I received and opened the box. And well....this month's Owlcrate didn't live up to my expectations and I was a bit disappointed. The theme didn't make sense to me because as I mentioned above, the Phantom of the Opera doesn't strike me as a "classic remix." Although I think a lot of my disappointment is because of my own personal views as children's literary classics, I think of Mary Poppins, Pride and Prejudice or Alice in Wonderland. And I still liked the box, it just wasn't wowed me like previous boxes have. There's always next month! 

My rating: 3/5 shells

February's Owlcrate theme is.....
Who else is excited?!

No comments:

Post a Comment