Friday, November 11, 2016

Punk 57 by Penelope Douglas Review

So once again, I happily stumbled on Punk 57 thanks to various reviews and blog posts I've seen flying around. Thank god for book bloggers right?! I loved Punk 57 but personally it was not an easy book to read. It reminded me a lot of what I went through in High School and I identified with several characters as well. I'm a very empathic person and when I happen to connect to a book, it's character's and story...it makes connecting to a book so much better. Halfway reading through Punk 57 I actually had to stop reading it because so many memories and emotions were coming back to me, situations similar to what the characters were going through. I loved Punk 57 but it really, really was hard for me to read the first time all the way through.  I think the biggest message I took from Punk 57 was the whole "find your tribe" quote. Penelope Douglas wrote a very sweet afterward that I teared up at. "And to anyone out there who might've related to what some of the characters went through--just remember: it gets better, you are important, and you can't be replaced. Hang on. You'll find your tribe." That is the honest to God truth, things get better. They really do. Although it brought up a lot of painful memories for me, I'm so thankful I found this book. Hopefully I can convince you to pick up a copy too :) 
The Cover: I thought Punk 57's cover was very interesting! Most romance novels usually have a couple posing and such, but I'm really starting to like the kind of abstract covers I've been seeing floating around lately. It's different, it's new and it makes me want to take a look at the story and characters inside. The colors are very eye catching which is always nice to see. Overall Punk 57's cover is very unique and I really like it. 

Basics: Punk 57 was released on October 18th, 2016 and is a standalone book. It is available for Amazon, Kindle, iBooks, Kobo and Nook. Punk 57 is 342 pages and was published by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.

Description: "We were perfect together. Until we met." 

Misha: I can’t help but smile at the lyrics in her letter. She misses me. In fifth grade, my teacher set us up with pen pals from a different school. Thinking I was a girl, with a name like Misha, the other teacher paired me up with her student, Ryen. My teacher, believing Ryen was a boy like me, agreed. It didn’t take long for us to figure out the mistake. And in no time at all, we were arguing about everything. The best take-out pizza. Android vs. iPhone. Whether or not Eminem is the greatest rapper ever… And that was the start. 

For the next seven years, it was us. Her letters are always on black paper with silver writing. Sometimes there’s one a week or three in a day, but I need them. She’s the only one who keeps me on track, talks me down, and accepts everything I am. We only had three rules. No social media, no phone numbers, no pictures. We had a good thing going. Why ruin it? Until I run across a photo of a girl online. Name’s Ryen, loves Gallo’s pizza, and worships her iPhone. What are the chances? F*ck it. I need to meet her. I just don’t expect to hate what I find. 

Ryen: He hasn’t written in three months. Something’s wrong. Did he die? Get arrested? Knowing Misha, neither would be a stretch. Without him around, I’m going crazy. I need to know someone is listening. It’s my own fault. I should’ve gotten his phone number or picture or something. He could be gone forever. Or right under my nose, and I wouldn’t even know it.
 

Overall thoughts: I was very curious about the story and how the plot would unfold. Two kids growing up writing one another doesn't seem like it would be anything dramatic, romance I could see but nothing dramatic. I was very, very wrong. All the small plot twists was giving me a bit of whiplash in a good way though! I enjoyed feeling like, 'oh I know who it's going to be!' but the plot twisted unfolded and I was completely wrong. Again, in a good way which I highly appreciated. 

Most romance readers I think like the angst part of the relationship in a book, the will they, won't they kind of scenario. People enjoy their heartstrings pulled. Punk 57 did this differently because the two main characters didn't know who the other person was! They may of been writing together for years and years, telling each other secrets, hopes and dreams. But it's truly hard to know and understand someone you can't see face to face which is the main problem in Punk 57. I enjoyed Misha and Ryen's dynamic, their falling for one another, their fighting and working through their issues and secrets. It was a very different adult romance read for me because the entire book is set in High School. 

Favorite characters: I adored Misha, he was such a great, funny character. I didn't always like the names he called Ryen but I really enjoyed his quirky aspects. Ten was also an interesting character and I kind of wished there was more information on him, I liked how he always seemed to be Ryen's wingman. This doesn't have to do anything with favorite characters but I did want to make note about this: I LOVED THE UNIQUE NAMES IN THIS BOOK. Ryen, Misha, Dane, Ten, JD. Like...I have a very popular name so when I read or hear unique names I'm just like...heart eyes. Kubo to Penelope for coming up with such different names! 

Couple Chemistry Rating: 5/5 shells
 

Favorite Quotes:
"You know more than that. I won't let anything happen to you. You're my tribe, Ryen." 

"Making sure the girl who got out a few minutes ago is tucked back inside, down deep."

"When I lost Annie, I lost Ryen, too, and now nothing is speaking to me."


Final thoughts: Lately I've been randomly finding books and series out of the blue, series and books that I am falling head over heels over and I couldn't be more thankful. Sometimes random things happen and blessings come out in disguise. Punk 57 was a blessing in disguise and although it was hard for me to read at times, I'm very thankful I found it. It's a great story with a great message so definitely pick up a copy people!! :)
My rating: 5/5 shells
Buy Punk 57
 KOBO

On to the next review! Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment