Sunday, December 18, 2016

December Series Monthly Mention: The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

For my monthly series mention I chose to spotlight the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. These books are a wonderful mix of fantasy, sci fi and fairytales all wrapped into a box of fabulousness. I devoured the Lunar Chronicles in an entire month they were that good guys! So without further ado, my thoughts on this galactic fantasy saga!  
Image result for the lunar chronicles

The Cover: Or covers in this case! The Lunar Chronicles have some of the most beautiful covers I have ever seen. They are simple, bright colored and each cover fits with the title of each book and ties in with the character inside the story. I love, love, love these covers very much! 

Basics: The Lunar Chronicles are a series of four books followed by two companion books. This series was first published in 2012 and officially ended in February 2016. The Lunar Chronicles are not small books by any means, Cinder alone was 400 pages. All of the Lunar Chronicles were published by Feiwel & Friends.

Description: Each book of the Lunar Chronicles focuses on the different four main characters followed by their partners and close friends. Fairest is a prequel focused on the antagonist of the series, Queen Levana. And Stars Above has some more short stories that focuses on the Lunar Chronicle universe plus a sweet epilogue. However to give you some idea about the Lunar Chronicles is about and focuses on, I'm including the description of Cinder, the first book in the Lunar Chronicles series. 

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.

Overall thoughts: I loved the Lunar Chronicles series so much! It kept me on my toes and on the edge of my seat with each book I finished. It was the perfect fix of fantasy, fairytales and sci fi! This entire series made me think that Disney and Star Wars got married and had a baby honestly! With some darker aspects and twists.  There were some parts of the books that I didn't like, but honestly a good fantasy Young Adult book wouldn't be a good book if there wasn't some darker parts in it. Not everything can be sunshine and rainbows. 

Favorite characters: My favorite characters of the Lunar Chronicles series were Cinder, Scarlet, Kai and Captain Thorne! Cinder wasn't your typical heroine, she is the epitome of a hero in every way and she's a strong, strong girl even when the odds are against her. Scarlet is also a strong character with a stubbornness I can relate to and enjoy reading about she's funny too. Kai is more of a composed character but he's the kind of character struggling with being forced into a role he isn't ready for and still being pretty dang young. And Captain Thorne...pure, comic, funny, hair pulling out (in a good way! Well...sometimes. Haha!) comic relief! Every story needs one I suppose, but Mr. Thorne is pretty dang special and I can promise you that you'll love him just as much as I did. 

Final thoughts: I was drawn to the Lunar Chronicles because I love fairytales and frankly anything that can be keep me away from the everyday stressors of life is something I want to dive right into when it comes to a book or book series. The Lunar Chronicles is a heartfelt series that follows a group of a band of misfits that are trying to make the world and universe a better, safer place. And they take you the reader with them on that mission and frankly you are missing out if you don't chose to follow Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel and Snow White into that journey. 

My Rating: 5/5 shells 
Buy the Lunar Chronicles series:
(starting with Cinder)

No comments:

Post a Comment